Take a break from the heat - and come networking on the ice and learn how to curl in Florida!
- Meet and Greet / Networking
- Classroom Instruction
- On-Ice Instruction
- Beginner Game
- Door Prizes
- $10 Gift Card to the Snack Bar (Ice Rink snacks (nachos, fries, chicken strips, pizza, etc), Beer and Wine available)
6:00-7:00 – Networking / Check-in / Food
7:00-7:45 – Classroom Instruction
7:45-9:30 – On Ice Instruction and Game Play
9:30-9:45 – Wrap up / Raffle Prizes / Broomstacking
- What do I wear? - Dress in layers that allow you to be flexible. The classroom / lobby will be “normal” temperature (around 78 degrees) and the ice house is around 50 degrees. Participants will be colder during on ice instruction but will warm up once game play starts. Wear clean, soft soled shoes (tennis shoes). If you get cold easily, a pair of gloves might be a good idea as well. Bonus points for fun pants!
- Do I need to bring anything? - All equipment you need will be provided including a broom, stabilizer and rubber gripper for one of your shoes.
- Do I need to be able to ice skate? - No - Curling does not involve ice skating. Participants walk on the pebbled ice and will step onto a Teflon slider when delivering the stone.
- Is the ice slippery? - Curling is played on pebbled ice which gives it an orange peel like texture, so it is not as slippery as flat hockey ice. The soft soled shoes plus a rubber gripper on one foot will make it easier to walk around. It’s still ice though do exercise caution and avoid running/jumping/etc.
- What if I can’t crouch down or slide with the stone? - Curling is a very adaptive sport and there are several modifications that can be made so learners can still participate. An example is stick curling where a player can stay in an upright position and deliver the stone with a delivery stick (similar to shuffleboard). Spectators are always welcome to join us as well!
Wednesday, September 21
6:00 - 9:30 p.m.
The Ice Factory
2221 Partin Settlement Rd
Kissimmee, FL 34744